Sep 8, 2011

Pierced Ear!


We read in Exodus about how the Hebrew slaves were to be treated according to the law. The Hebrew slaves were more like servants. When a slave/servant had served his master for 6 years he was to be set free without a fee. But then it says;

But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.
Exodus 21:5-6

We are all free in SOS. We generously free people, send and export quality leaders all the time! But our leaders will often say just like the Scripture above...

They'll say; "I love this life and this family! I love the spiritual children, the adventure and my spiritual parents so much! I want to stay! I want to share life with you!" And so the ear is pierced, so to speak, and we stand together for life! SOS have many leaders with a hole in their ear. The hole symbolises love, togetherness, loyalty and devotedness. We have pierced our ear with the pricker and given ourselves to each other. We are not rootless or passing through, but faithful SOS people! We are priests for those who don't go to church and missionaries until the last people group has heard about Jesus!

Many are jealous of our unity and cohesiveness and love to slander it. What everyone really wants is to be a part of a strong church, but has a hard time giving their heart to it. Maybe it's the people that really dare give themselves wholeheartedly to their spiritual context that experience true friendship and care. What if the reason for people's allienation is their own fear and a disguise for a seductive "freedom" that only results in more loneliness? An attitude that says; "I want to keep my options open" might be our generation's biggest curse?!

See ya!