Jul 15, 2011

Reflections After Tanzania

I visited great Pentecostal churches in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania last week... Some were 3,000 members, others 800 and one 6,000... Met mature, humble, balanced and very generous Bishops, Pastors and leaders... I was so impressed by their willingness to give and their aggressive faith! One church with only 800 members (15-30 year old members) managed to raise 300,000 USD and buy land with cash to build their church - only in a few months... They sold their cars, computers, cell phones etc... Now they are raising money to build a super modern church with about 4,500 seats! They are wild! I never wanted to stop worshipping when I was there, even though I didn't understand more than a few words of the songs in Swahili that thay sang in their church. The worship leaders weren't just very talented musicians and had incredible voices, but there was something else - Jesus was there and the anointing could be felt right through skin and bone... The blood start to boil and the ground shakes when they dance, sing, cry out and devote themselves in prayer and worship! I wasn't allowed to pay at the restaurants. I wasn't allowed to pay for my taxi. I wasn't allowed to pay for my hotell. I was given a donation to SOS that equals two months salaries for a church here! Africa has so much to teach us! Jesus, help us in Europe! They are passing us!


I so enjoyed to see people saved, the blind see, demons cast out and hungry disciples being baptized in the Holy Spirit in almost every gathering that we had. They churches that I visited were truly lovely! At the same time I was sad when I spoke to African leaders about legalism, religion, false teachings and fanatisicm - that actually bind many wonderful Africans as well and scare millions away from the church. Thank you God for a new, true and pure hearted generation of young leaders that are rising up on the African continent. They refuse to compromise with the Bible and at the same time want to be folksy and modern. Their charm when they combine the Spirit of prayer with smoke machines and cool lighting is lovely. I think I have fallen in love with the African urban teenagers I met last week... The Jesus-loving teenagers of Kampala, Nairobi and Dar es Salaam have stolen a piece of my heart...


I have been invited together with SOS Festival Band to come and speak at the biggest youth conference for the Swahili speaking East Africa in November this year. There is hope for Africa a nd there is hope for the world! The next wave of missionaries will come from Africa to Europe!

See ya!